There are some cases where a transfer can be made regardless of the number of credits being taken, but there are strict rules regarding this:
- Students Enrolled with Student Accessibility Services (SAS) have the ability to switch to whichever student group they wish to.
- Students in their final academic year of studies, may transfer back into their previous association, provided they were a member of it the year before.
- Part-Time students (1- 17 units) can transfer into the MSU from MAPS, provided they were an MSU member the year before.
- Full-Time students (18+ units) can transfer into MAPS from the MSU, provided they were a MAPS member in the year before.
- Students are required to pay the student fees associated with the student government they choose to remain with.
This form will close on October 15, 2021.
There are no fees associated with switching, that being said, students are expected to pay the membership fees associated with the student government they choose to stay with.
Those transferring from MAPS to MSU can expect the following fees being charged to their student accounts:
2021-2022 MSU Membership Fees
Fees administered by the MSU:
- $137.01 for the MSU Organization Fee
- $103.72 for the MSU Health Plan
- $129.90 for the MSU Dental Plan
- $14.11 for the 93.3 CFMU-FM Operating and Capital Funds
- $1.68 for World University Service of Canada Refugee Scholarship
- $233.94 for HSR Bus Pass, payable to the HSR Transit Commission
- $0.69 per unit to a maximum of 30 units for the MSU-MUSC Operating Fee, payable to MUSC
Fees administered by non-MSU, non-University bodies:
- $1.09 for, and administered by, Incite
- $5.50 for, and administered by, OPIRG-McMaster
- $1.11 for the McMaster Solar Car Project
- $0.41 for, and administered by, Engineers Without Borders
- $1.02 for, and administered by, the McMaster Marching Band
McMaster University fees, approved by MSU referenda:
- $1.30 per unit to a maximum of 30 units for the Transcripts, Letters, Tax Forms & Certificates Fee (Formerly Administrative Services Fee)
- $5.14 per unit to a maximum of 30 units for the Sports Complex Building Fee
- $252.54 for the Athletics and Recreation Activity Fee
- $80.09 for the Student Success Centre
- $110.56 for the Student Wellness Centre
McMaster University fees, approved by quorate MSU General Assembly:
- $100.00 Orientation Fee for all Level I, full-time undergraduate students
Students who apply for membership transfers will be contacted from a representative from Student Accounts within 5-7 business days.