Women & Gender Equity Network (WGEN) Executive: Volunteer Coordinator
WGEN educates the McMaster community in an effort to create a campus free from prejudice and discrimination on the basis of gender expression and/or gender identity. WGEN services as a participant in supporting survivors of gender-based discrimination, sexual assault, and/or similar forms of violence. WGEN develops and strengthens relationships between McMaster students, staff, and members of the community by providing information, resources, programming, and on-campus advocacy around gender-based oppressions.
The Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for organizing the recruitment of new volunteers, as well as the scheduling and coordination of volunteers and executives. The Volunteer Coordinator will work with the WGEN Coordinator to create a supportive community of volunteers, who will help facilitate, maintain and advertise safe(r)-space, events, workshops, and campaigns. The Volunteer Coordinator will also coordinate with executive members well in advance of events and campaigns to organize volunteers in a thoughtful and resourceful way.
Please note this posting closes Tuesday, June 13th at 11:59pm.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Awareness and understanding of topics associated with WGEN ( i.e. transphobia, racism,
sexism, ableism, and human rights, heterosexism, cissexism, heteronormativity, intersecting
oppressions and invisible privilege, sexual assault)
- Confidence and ability to challenge dominant views
- Organizational and time management skills
- Leadership and supervisory skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment and dedication to Service
Effort & Responsibility
- Effort to think creatively
- Effort required to implement recruitment campaigns
- Ability to work in a team and act as a support
- Maintain confidentiality of all individuals accessing the WGEN
- Time demands may exceed stated hours of work
- Most work can be completed in a shared office space
Training and Experience
- Previous leadership experience
- Necessary training will be provided
- Personal and/or shared computer
For a full list of duties and responsibilities, please download the full job description.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources by email at email@example.com. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Term||September 1, 2023 - April 30, 2024|
|Hours||3 - 5 Hours per week|