Women & Gender Equity Network (WGEN) Executive: Community Events and Planning
WGEN educates the McMaster community in an effort to create a campus free from prejudice and discrimination on the basis of gender expression and/or gender identity. WGEN services as a participant in supporting survivors of gender-based discrimination, sexual assault, and/or similar forms of violence. WGEN develops and strengthens relationships between McMaster students, staff, and members of the community by providing information, resources, programming, and on-campus advocacy around gender-based oppressions.
The Community Events and Planning Executive(s) are responsible for building a welcoming, safe(r) and supportive network for women-identified people, trans folk, those who identify outside the gender binary, survivors of sexual assault, and other members of WGEN. This process working closely with WGEN executives and community partners, and overseeing a volunteer committee to plan and execute engaging and inclusive events (such as discussions, potlucks, storytelling, etc.).
Please note this posting closes Tuesday, June 13th at 11:59pm.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Awareness and understanding of topics associated with WGEN ( i.e. transphobia, racism, sexism, ableism, and human rights, heterosexism, cissexism, heteronormativity, intersecting oppressions and invisible privilege, sexual assault).
- An understanding of safe(r) space
- Confidence and ability to challenge dominant views
- Organizational and time management skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
Effort & Responsibility
- Previous experience planning events is an asset
- Establish and maintain professional connections on and off campus
- Maintaining confidentiality of all individuals accessing WGEN
- Shared office space in the MSU Committee Room
- Time demands may exceed stated hours of work
- Most work can be completed in a shared office space
Training and Experience
- Necessary training will be provided
- Personal and/or shared computer
For a full list of duties and responsibilities, please download the WGEN Community Events and Planning Executive job description.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources by email at email@example.com. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Term||September 1, 2023 - April 30, 2024|
|Hours||4 - 6 Hours per week|
|# of positions||1 - 2 Positions|