Whether it’s a breaking news story or an ongoing investigation, Silhouette reporters will be there and are committed to informing the student body of the issues and concerns that affect their lives. The Sil’s sports section is your best way to keep up with the exploits of the many Mac varsity teams, while Arts & Culture provides useful and insightful profiles, features, and tips to help you get the most out of student life. The Sil’s opinions section is your own forum through which you can speak to the masses. Got something to say? Submit an OpEd piece by two days prior to that week’s publication.
Please note this posting closes Tuesday September 26th at 11:59pm.
The Multimedia Assistant will assist the Multimedia team with mostly web page layout and design, and graphic design requests for articles as needed. The role will also assist the Silhouette section editors with creating graphics and solving problems when using WordPress, exploring website functions around engagement and interactivity for articles. The Multimedia Assistant may also create small graphics and infographics for online, print, and social media as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Flexibility, attention to detail and enthusiasm are key
- Personal skills to work with colleagues and volunteers
- Strong knowledge of WordPress, and at least one of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
- Time management and organizational skills required
Effort and Responsibility
- Create graphics and assist in facilitating the visual presentations of articles online and in print when necessary
- Attention to detail to maintain accuracy and balance
- Effort required to maintain thought and creative expression until the completion of a project
- Late evening work is involved
Training and Experience
- Experience with website and design software is required
- Previous experience with the Silhouette is an asset
- Basic design training will be administered to teach Silhouette branding and layout templates, in addition to basic journalism ethics and Canadian Press style training
- Personal computer and/or digital equipment is required to perform layout and graphic design responsibilities
For a full list of duties and responsibilities, please download the job description here
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Director by email at email@example.com. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Term||Current - April 30, 2024|
|Supervisor||Silhouette Multimedia Editor|
|Hours||4 - 6 Hours per week|