Whether it’s a breaking news story or an ongoing investigation, Silhouette reporters will be there and are committed to informing the student body of the issues and concerns that affect their lives. The Sil’s sports section is your best way to keep up with the exploits of the many Mac varsity teams, while Arts & Culture provides useful and insightful profiles, features, and tips to help you get the most out of student life. The Sil’s opinions section is your own forum through which you can speak to the masses. Got something to say? Submit an OpEd piece by two days prior to that week’s publication.
Please note this posting closes Sunday February 18th at 11:59pm.
The Arts & Culture Reporter writes at least two stories a week for the Arts & Culture section under the direction of the Arts & Culture Editor. They are responsible for generating their own story ideas and are expected to be fairly autonomous and independent.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to write grammatically correct sentences and coherent stories in accordance with Canadian Press style
- Assertive and clear communication ability to reach contacts and ascertain correct facts
- Personal skills to work with colleagues, volunteers, and the public
- Able to use Microsoft Word basic e-mail platforms
- Time management and organizational skills
- Editing ability
- Interviewing and analysis skills
- Knowledge of Media Law
Effort & Responsibility
- Attention to detail to maintain accuracy and balance
- Persistence to get the right information from contacts
- Approach subjects as layperson in order to get the appropriate information from contacts and provide an objective and clear account
- Effort required to maintain consistency of work during long hours
- Silhouette office (open office with many computer terminals and a lounge)
- Time demands may exceed stated hours of work
Training and Experience
- Journalism experience (previous volunteer experience with the Silhouette an asset)
- Computer and basic photography training will be provided
- Rudimentary knowledge of media
- Computer equipment for writing responsibilities
- Recording tools for interviewing and transcribing
For a full list of duties and responsibilities, please download the full job description.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Sept 1, 2024 - Apr 30, 2025
|The Silhouette Arts & Culture Editor
|B2 - $137.60 per week
|6 - 8 Hours per week