Located inside TwelvEighty, accessible at the bottom of the stairs nearest Union Market, The Grind is a fabulous café, serving premium coffee, tea, and crêpes. The space is surrounded by USB connectivity for device charging, while featuring daily scone and baked good specials. In addition to its line-up of espresso, lattés and cappuccinos – all made with 100% Arabica beans – The Grind has a great selection of both sweet and savory crêpes, made fresh to order.
The Barista is expected to deliver exceptional service to all customers, ensuring a positive customer experience that will encourage guests to return.
Please note this posting closes on Sunday, July 25th at 11:59pm (EDT).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skills in verbal communication required when dealing with customers and others within the organization
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills
Background in customer service oriented industry is an asset
Effort & Responsibility
- Ability to make decisions quickly and often without warning (i.e customer service situations)
Responsible for dealing with large amounts of cash
- Work environment is pleasant but challenging – often the server is performing several tasks simultaneously
- Loud volume, noisy, smoky environment
- Potential risk of personal injury
Late evenings and weekends
Training and Experience
- Training and experience with cash procedures, preferably in a computerized atmosphere
- Past cafe/restaurant experience preferred
- Experience in campus environment preferred
- Some computer experience an asset
Must have, or be willing to obtain, Smart Serve Certification
Glass and plate ware
For a full list of duties and responsibilities, please download the full job description.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Generalist by email at email@example.com. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Term||September 1, 2021 - April 30, 2022|
|Supervisor||Restaurant Manager and Evening Manager|
|Hours of Work||Academic (variable); summer (as required)|