As per MSU employment policies – “Only MSU members in good standing shall be eligible for part-time employment with McMaster Student Union.” This includes, but is not limited to- “All undergraduate students at McMaster University enrolled in 18 units or more during an academic session..” To find more information and exceptions, please see our Part-Time Staff policy or our Bylaw 2 – MSU Membership.
Please note this job closes on Sunday, February 26th, 2023 at 11:59pm.
The Spark Assistant Director will be responsible for the coordination of MSU Spark’s volunteer team in the execution of the MSU’s first-year transition support program. The Spark Assistant Director will coordinate a team of like-minded students to facilitate a successful transition to university for first-year McMaster students that focuses on education, resiliency, and overall personal development throughout the course of the year. The Spark Assistant Director will assist the Spark Director in the recruitment and hiring of all executive and volunteer members, as well as coordination, training, and recognition of all volunteers within the Service. While an assistant with the formation of summer programming for MSU Spark, the Spark Assistant Director largely serves to address the internal growth needs of the Service.
Requirements & Expectations
- Current McMaster Undergraduate student
- Current MSU member
- Mental health support credentials [e.g., SafeTalk, Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Mental Health First Aid, Wellness Recovery Action Planning (WRAP), Peer Support Accreditation, etc.] are an asset.
- Movement of event and/or session supplies may result in the need for lifting or pushing by the Spark Director, Spark Assistant Director, executives, or volunteers.
- High degree of communication requirements may cause mental fatigue.
- Moderate-to-high level of mental effort required to address sensitive and confidential subject matters in a professional manner.
- Periods of increased coordination/communication among volunteers may result in high levels of stress.
- Serial nature of events and fluctuations in time commitment demands throughout the term of employment may lead to high variability in stress levels.
- Often deeply personal connection to the community of Service users may result in internalized occupational dissatisfaction.
- Service mandate and goals typically involve low-stakes consequences when left unmet.
- High demand of team inquiries may require unique communication standards and/or practices to establish a clear work-life separation with peer personnel.
- Frequent changes in working environment due to the variability in group sizes needed for events versus sessions.
- Workspaces often require distinct booking procedures before the Service (including the Spark Director) may use them.
- Colleagues often exude a high degree of passion surrounding their work.
Training & Experience
- Awareness and understanding of topics associated with the Service (e.g., first-year transition, needs of first-year students, available academic/health/leadership resources on and off campus, etc.).
- Awareness and understanding of the scope of the Service within the MSU, McMaster, and Greater Hamilton community.
- Experience as a leader in a mentorship and/or leadership program.
- Experience as a manager/supervisor/leader for a team.
- Experience as a(n) teacher/trainer/educator in any capacity.
- Experience as a volunteer/employee with any MSU Service.
- Experience as an event and/or conference planner/organizer/administrator.
- Microsoft Office 365 use and navigation.
- Recognizing, and responding to disclosures of, sexual and gender-based violence.
- Accessibility and disability inclusion.
- Anti-racism/anti-oppressive practices.
- Responding to disclosures of drug use and sexual activity with appropriate harm-reduction strategies.
- Peer-support best practices.
- Space and group facilitation best practices.
- 2STLGBQIA+ inclusivity.
- Eating disorder awareness and responding to disclosures of disordered eating.
- Hiring practices.
- Social media and marketing.
Materials & Equipment
- Shared working space within the MSU Committee Room.
- Personal computer.
- Full Microsoft Office 365 access.
- Meridian Telephone system with voicemail, where appropriate.
- Limited free printer/photocopier access
Please download the job description to see a full listing of the duties & responsibilities: Job Description – Spark Assistant Director – created 20-20
Please note this role is currently undergoing a wage evaluation; hours and the wage will be finalized prior to when interviews are conducted.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Term||May 1, 2023 - April 30, 2024|
|Hours||6 - 8 Hours per week|
|Remuneration||C2 - $133.20 per week|