Pride Community Centre (PCC) – Training and Development Coordinator
This posting closes June 12th, 2023 at 11:59pm.
The Pride Community Centre is a service of the McMaster Students Union. We provide a contact point for McMaster students that may identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, and/or any of the other diverse identities that make up our community. We offer educational programming and access to resources of interest, as well as peer support and a physical space for students to meet and socialize with each other. As advocates for gender & sexual diversity, the PCC’s mandate upholds that LGBTQ+ students are entitled to a safe and supportive campus, absent of homophobia and transphobia, where the expression of one’s gender & sexual identity is welcomed and respected.
General Scope of Duties
The Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for scheduling, training, and coordination of volunteers and Coordinators. The Volunteer Coordinator will work with the PCC Coordinator to create a supportive community of volunteers, who will help facilitate, maintain and advertise safe(r)-space, social events, workshops and campaigns. The Volunteer Coordinator will also coordinate with executive team members well in advance of events and campaigns to organize volunteers in a thoughtful and resourceful way.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Awareness and understanding topics associated with the PCC (i.e. cissexism, transphobia, heteronormativity, homophobia, intersectionality, safe space, LGBTQ2SI+ identities)
- Ability to challenge dominant views.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Knowledge of peer support.
- Leadership, interpersonal and supervisory skills.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Organizational and time management skills
- Strong Interpersonal skills required for conflict resolution and mediation
- Ability to coordinate team of volunteers to ensure successful completion of tasks
Effort & Responsibility
- Able to function well with people in crisis.
- Maintain confidentiality of all individuals accessing the PCC
- Effort required to think creatively
- Effort required to plan and execute events
- Expected to interact closely with a group of volunteers
- Time demands may exceed stated hours of work
Training and Experience
- Past experience with the PCC is an asset
- Necessary training will be provided
- Event planning experience is an asset, and required
- Peer Support experience is preferred
- Use of Personal Computer
Full job description can be found here.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Term||September 1, 2023 - April 30, 2024|
|Hours||8 hours per week (some summer preparation may be required)|