As per MSU employment policies – “Only MSU members in good standing shall be eligible for part-time employment with McMaster Student Union.” This includes, but is not limited to- “All undergraduate students at McMaster University enrolled in 18 units or more during an academic session..” To find more information and exceptions, please see our Part-Time Staff policy or our Bylaw 2 – MSU Membership.
Please note this posting closes Sunday, February 26th, 2023 at 11:59pm.
Food Collective Centre is a service run by students dedicated to cultivating stronger food systems in the McMaster and surrounding community. We offer a number of support resources that are available for everyone: Students, Alumni, Staff, and Hamilton Community Partners to access.
General Scope of Duties
The Food Collective Centre Assistant Director works closely with the volunteer team and Director to manage the Meal Exchange Chapter, including its programming on campus. The Assistant Director is the liaison between Meal Exchange Canada and the McMaster chapter associated with Food Collective Centre. In addition, the Assistant Director shall support the Events Coordinator and Promotions Coordinator in their roles and responsibilities. The Food Collective Centre Assistant Director is responsible for coordinating food raising and fundraising initiatives, as well as educating McMaster students on the causes and consequences of poor food systems and the support resources available to students. The Food Collective Centre Assistant Director will perform the duties of the Director if they are absent.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Awareness and understanding of topics associated with Food Collective Centre (e.g. food security, food accessibility, food sustainability)
- Ability to maintain a calm demeanor in stressful situations and work with a diverse population
- Detail oriented
- Knowledge of event planning and fundraising is an asset
- Organizational and time management skills
- Leadership skills required
- Ability to lead and work with others
- Interpersonal skills an asset
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required
- Ability to work well under minimal supervision and take ownership of all projects
- Ability to coordinate others and take initiative to ensure successful completion of tasks
Effort & Responsibility
- Maintain confidentiality of all individuals accessing Food Collective Centre
- Effort required to think creatively
- Effort required to plan and execute events
- Responsible for maintaining an appropriate and positive image of the MSU
- Judgment required to make financial decisions
- Work is performed in a shared space
- Time demands may exceed stated hours of work
Training and Experience
- Management and supervision experience of staff and volunteers an asset
- Experience with food raisers and fundraisers is an asset
- Experience with budgeting procedures is an asset
- Experience with Food Collective Centre as a volunteer and/or user is an asset
- Anti-Oppression Training (provided)
- Food Handlers Certification required (provided)
- Shared computer and telephone resources
Full job description can be found here
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Term||May 1, 2023 - April 30, 2024|
|Hours||8 - 10 Hours per week|
|Remuneration||C3 - $166.50 per week|