As per MSU employment policies – “Only MSU members in good standing shall be eligible for part-time employment with McMaster Student Union.” This includes, but is not limited to- “All undergraduate students at McMaster University enrolled in 18 units or more during an academic session..” To find more information and exceptions, please see our Part-Time Staff policy or our Bylaw 2 – MSU Membership.
Please note this job closes on Sunday, February 26th, 2023 at 11:59pm.
General Scope of Duties
The Deputy Returning Officer is responsible for promoting all elections/referenda as well as the Elections Department. As well, they are responsible for hiring and managing all of the poll clerks as required. Moreover, the DRO assists the Chief Returning Officer (CRO) in the elections process acting in the place of the CRO when they are unavailable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have an understanding of MSU bylaws, operating polices, and procedures related to the elections department
- Experience with elections, especially regarding procedures
- Leadership skills with the ability to facilitate meetings of the elections committee
Effort & Responsibility
- Must be able to answer questions during training sessions
- Most effort is put in around election times.
- Must remain impartial in execution of election duties.
- Responsible for maintaining an appropriate and positive image of the MSU
- Shares an office with CRO and the Speaker
- Must be willing to work long hours during campaign period, especially following polls closing
- Time demands may exceed stated hours of work
Training and Experience
- Participation in the annual MSU Management Trainings required (provided)
- Experience with promotions an asset
- Knowledge of basic computer software (word processing, spreadsheets)
- Shared computer in shared office
Please download the job description to see a full listing of the duties & responsibilities: Deputy Returning Officer (DRO) (locked)
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Director at (905) 525-9140 ext. 26255, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Term||September 1, 2023 - April 30, 2024|
|Supervisor||Student Representative Assembly (SRA) through the Chief Returning Officer (CRO)|
|Hours||8-10 hours per week|
|Remuneration||C3 - $166.50 per week|