As per MSU employment policies – “Only MSU members in good standing shall be eligible for part-time employment with McMaster Student Union.” This includes, but is not limited to- “All undergraduate students at McMaster University enrolled in 18 units or more during an academic session..” To find more information and exceptions, please see our Part-Time Staff policy or our Bylaw 2 – MSU Membership.
Please note this job closes on February 26th, 2024 at 11:59pm.
The Elections Department oversees the various voting schedules, including those of the First Year Council (FYC), Student Represtative Assembly (SRA), and the Presidential Election. Throughout the year, there are many opportunities to become involved in the electoral process whether this is joining the Elections Committee, running in an election, or joining a campaign team.
General Scope of Duties
The Chief Returning Officer is responsible for the execution of all MSU elections and referenda. This includes setting rules, advertising and promotion, supervision of ballot count, assessing penalties and declaring winners.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Organizational and time management skills
- Ability to manage people and delegate tasks effectively
- Interpersonal skills to deal effectively with SRA/MSU members and the University community at large
- Written communication skills necessary
- Must be able to chair a meeting
- Budgeting skills are necessary, but are included in training
- A working knowledge of computers and word processing
Effort & Responsibility
- Effort required to exercise judgment in recommending fines/disqualifications of candidates/sides in elections/referenda
- Must remain impartial in execution of election duties
- Judgment to make financial decisions for department
- Responsible for maintaining an appropriate and positive image of the MSU
- Work hours vary throughout the year and there is occasional late night work involved
- Secretarial support for fines meetings and appeal meetings
- Ensuring the ongoing completion of necessary paperwork
- Time demands may exceed stated hours of work
Training and Experience
- Previous work on Election Committee is an asset
- Previous leadership and management experience is an asset
- Participation in the annual MSU Management Trainings is required (provided)
- Basic operation of word processor, spreadsheets, e-mail.
- Shared computer in shared office
- Simply Voting election system
A full job description can be found here
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Student Representative Assembly (SRA) through Administrative Assistant
|May 1, 2024 - April 30, 2025
|12 - 14 Hours per week
|D4 - $254.80 per week