Please note this job will close Wednesday, March 6th at 11:59pm.
CFMU is your campus radio station, sending broadcasting signals from the basement of the Student Centre, to you! Bringing together the voice of McMaster students and members of the Hamilton Community, 93.3 CFMU is the station for the everyday listener. As a community radio station, content is developed with the local audience in mind.
The station can be heard on a regular FM radio, Spotify or on the CFMU website. Programming is created by station volunteers consisting of McMaster students and members of the Hamilton Community. CFMU broadcasts a variety of music, hosts an assortment of characters, and discusses a range of important topics.
|General Scope of Duties
The CFMU Production Coordinator oversees all audio production-related activities. This position creates advertisements, promotional spots, and programs, using in-house software. The Production Coordinator trains new program hosts on in-house software for show production. This position oversees, administrates, and trains the Production Committee members to assist with the creation of advertisements, promotional spots, and programs. The Production Coordinator will assist with video production and editing.
| Major Duties and Responsibilities
|Volunteer Management Function
- Recruit, train, and monitor Production Committee volunteers
- Assist in the training of new and returning volunteers on the procedures and policies of CFMU Radio Inc., CRTC regulations for campus/community radio – including advertising restrictions and production techniques; employ both group and one-on-one training techniques
- Assist in the placement of production volunteers to ensure all advertisements are creative and meet CFMU’s broadcast standards
- Monitor the production volunteers to ensure all advertisements completed and approved by the client prior to broadcast
- Assist in ensuring all CFMU volunteers adhere to the rules of the production facility
- Ensure that all advertisements produced by production volunteers are approved by the client before airing
- Assist with video shooting and editing as required
- Use digital recording gear to make ads and promotional spots
- Assist in developing and maintaining systems to ensure that Production volunteers are provided with the information and material they require to effectively produce carts, advertisements, and programs
- Make recommendations to the CFMU Program Director on ideas which would improve the production department
- Ensure that all CFMU volunteers using the production studios fill out fault report forms to report equipment breakdowns
|Advertising & Promotions Function
- Meet with CFMU Administrative Director to pick up ad copy and deadline information
- Ensure that all necessary information and materials are available to production volunteers assisting in the production of advertisements
- Assist in ensuring that all features of the CFMU departments are promoted appropriately, using production volunteers as resources to assist in the production of carts
- Use of promotional carts to promote CFMU-FM
- Act as a point of contact for advertisers after initial contact with CFMU Administrative Director
- Prepare for submission to the Program Director; an annual year plan (summer) and a year end report (March)
- Attend and participate in mandatory weekly CFMU staff meetings
- Provide transition for the incoming Production Assistant
- Participate in fundraising drives and motivate volunteers to participate in fundraising initiatives
- Ensure that blank fault report forms and current production schedules are posted and available
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication skills required for volunteer management
- Ability to troubleshoot technical problems (e.g. a software glitch) by using own knowledge and knowledge of where to find other resources to overcome the issue
- Interpersonal skills required to effectively interact with staff, volunteers, and advertisers
- Conflict mediation skills are an asset
|Effort & Responsibility
- Judgment required to make advertising and promotional decisions for the department
- Creativity required to create ads and promotions from conception to final production
- Effort to stay knowledgeable about advertising trends
- Long periods of time spent at a computer or in the production studio
- Duties are performed in an office or in the on-air and production studios at CFMU-FM
- Time demands may exceed stated hours of work
|Training and Experience
- Previous experience within the station is an asset
- Training on office systems, processes, and software will be provided
- Experience with production and video editing is an asset
- All broadcast equipment
- Knowledge of radio production facilities
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.