This is a FULL TIME, one-year contract. This position is also entitled to an extensive benefits package. Applicants must be a graduating full-time undergraduate student (taking 18 units or more) at the time of applying or have been an MSU member within the last 12 months. The successful candidate is required complete a minimum of 35 hours of training before the commencement of their employment, for which they will be compensated (only applicable to candidates who are new to the role).
The MSU represents full-time undergraduate students at McMaster University. The MSU purpose is to draw into a true society all students at McMaster University. In pursuit of this, it will foster activities and events which will enhance the University experience of its members and contribute to the life of the University as a whole. Further, it will seek to facilitate communication between the student body, the University and other organizations and will organize and regulate student self-government.
CFMU is your campus radio station, sending broadcasting signals from the basement of the Student Centre, to you! Bringing together the voice of McMaster students and members of the Hamilton Community, 93.3 CFMU is the station for the everyday listener. As a community radio station, content is developed with the local audience in mind.
The station can be heard on a regular FM radio, Spotify or on the CFMU website. Programming is created by station volunteers consisting of McMaster students and members of the Hamilton Community. CFMU broadcasts a variety of music, hosts an assortment of characters, and discusses a range of important topics.
Please note this posting is extended and will remain open until a candidate is hired.
The Community Outreach Coordinator will cover McMaster, MSU and surrounding events to develop stories for CFMU and raise awareness of CFMU the greater McMaster and surrounding community. In addition, when time permits the Community Outreach Coordinator will undertake marketing initiatives to continually raise the profile of CFMU.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with students in a high-energy, dynamic environment and should possess the following:
- Recent McMaster graduate
- Experience in marketing, promotions, publicity ideal
- Experience in not-for-profit entities, community or campus groups ideal
- Experience in journalism and/or writing would be beneficial but not mandatory
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Interpersonal skills required to be able to interact effectively with individuals in a variety of roles, as contact with individuals, groups, and agencies is ongoing (i.e. staff, peers, students, government agencies, community members, and other external sources)
- Analytical and problem-solving skills required for both technical and interpersonal problems
- Willingness to learn about and understand the cultural and political subtleties of the various multicultural groups which rely on CFMU
- Willingness to learn about and understanding of radio program production, broadcast journalism and media relations
- Volunteer management skills required to train, encourage and retain a large and diverse group of volunteers to work within the regulations and time slots
- Training skills to teach volunteers how to use broadcast equipment
- Ability to be trained on broadcast studio equipment, production studio equipment and computer software such as the network, Wavelab, Excel, etc.
- Must be able to work cooperatively in a team environment consisting of the Board of Directors, Administrative Director, Program Director, students, grant staff, and volunteers
- Knowledge of camera and digital editing equipment is an asset. Comfortable shooting video and solid understanding of photo and video editing software along with uploading, meta-tagging and technical protocols (encoding and compression). Broad understanding of lighting techniques, set design and frame composition.
- Organizational skills required to set and achieve priorities for a diverse organization, to come to understand the campus and community entities with which they will work
- Decisions must often be made quickly under varying circumstances
- Must be observant, be able to spot problems and refer them to the appropriate authority
- Must be able to exercise flexible working hours and fulfill additional time requirements as needed.
- Nature of the position requires multiple demands to be addressed simultaneously
- Must work in an environment of constant change
- Must work in an active environment
- Must be willing to travel
- Personal computer, photocopier, fax machine, etc
- Radio broadcast and production equipment
The full job description can be found here.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Director by email at email@example.com. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|May 1, 2024 - April 30, 2025
|CFMU Program Director & CFMU Administrative Director
|35 Hours per week