***Please note: This is an SOP (Student Opportunity position), full time contract position, intended for a recent McMaster graduate or Internship***
This posting will close at 11:59pm on Sunday, February 5th, 2023.
Campus Events: Our sole mission is to provide McMaster students with a variety of quality programming throughout the school year that is both engaging and inclusive. We believe in the student life outside of the classroom, whether on campus or at home, and we are a passionate team that works hard to make sure your entire McMaster experience is a positive one.
The Campus Events Programming Coordinator will work closely with the Director of Campus Events to plan, promote and run events for the MSU and its members. The Programming Coordinator will be responsible for all promotions and marketing of events within the department. This position will provide support to MSU services, clubs and other student groups in creating high quality programming as needed. The Programming Coordinator will manage a team of events and promotions staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The ability to work well independently on several projects concurrently, and possess excellent communication, organizational and creative thinking skills Be able to remain professional when communicating, as these will be the views of the Campus Events department
- Extensive experience working with students and volunteers and managing, supervising and orientating people for events
- Project Management, organizational and prioritizing skills; problem solving and organizational skills; attention to detail is imperative Knowledge of the overall campus, residences and off-campus for promotions
- Strong initiative and customer service orientation
- Excellent written and oral interpersonal communication with marketing and communications skills
- Experience in planning and implementing events including expertise in attracting sponsorships; proven track record in developing and implementing promotion plans; expertise associated with fundraising events is an asset
- Demonstrated high energy level and flexibility, pleasant persona coupled with sound judgment; flexible, knowledge of correct protocol for specific situations
Effort & Responsibility
- Odd hours of work are common, requiring time commitments early in the morning, late in the evening, and on weekends
- Judgement required in event layout, staff organization and budgetary decisions
- Effort is required to maintain strong communication with residences, societies, MSU Clubs, and University services, as these partners are key to running effective events
- Innovation to come up with new promotional and event ideas
- Responsible for the promotion of a proper image of the McMaster Students Union and the Campus Events department
- Demanding hours of work required preceding and during events
- Activities are organized both indoors and outdoors in many differing weather conditions
- Periods of intense working hours leading up to marquee events such as Welcome Week, Homecoming, and Light up the Night
- Often exposed to loud music in the bar environment
Training and Education
- An asset to have knowledge of MSU events and experience working with volunteers
- Training required in risk management (provided)
- Graphic design experience is an asset
- Social media management is an asset
- Additional training will be provided
- Use of shared office and personal computer, telephone and administrative support
Please download the job description to see a full listing of the duties & responsibilities: SOP – Campus Events Programming Coordinator (locked)
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Director by email at email@example.com. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Supervisor||Director of Campus Events|
|Hours||35 Hours per week|
|Term||May 1, 2023 - April 30, 2024|