AVP: University Affairs
General Scope of Duties
The AVP: University Affairs is responsible for chairing the University Affairs standing and any directly related ad-hoc committees of the SRA. Additionally, the AVP: University Affairs is responsible for leading policy development and amendments to policies with the consultation of the Vice-President Education and the Education Department. Furthermore, the AVP: University Affairs shall participate in lobbying efforts, make recommendations, and shall advise the Vice-President Education in matters relating to their portfolios. They will also be responsible for attending meetings that are relevant to their portfolio as advised by the Vice-President (Education).
Please note this posting closes Sunday, June 4th, 2023 at 11:59pm.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledgeable in scope and focus of the Standing Committee
- Knowledgeable of parliamentary procedure, MSU Constitution, Bylaws, and Policies
- Understanding of the MSU legislative process and the complexities of policy creation
- Strong research and critical thinking skills
- Ability to make reasoned and impartial decisions
- Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly and to moderate debate
- Ability to effectively chair meetings
- Strategic planning abilities
- Ability to carry out research projects from start to finish
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
Effort & Responsibility
- Effort required to maintain strong community and campus partnerships
- Effort required to research and become knowledgeable on all elements of a policy paper
- Responsible for acting as a positive ambassador of the MSU at campus and community events
- Hours of work are variable
- Time demands may exceed stated hours of work
- Access to shared work space in the MSU Committee Room
Training and Experience
- Must attend SRA Training weekends
- Use of a personal computer is preferred
- Access to a shared office computer
- Other business machines as required
Full job description found here
Please note this role is currently under review; some duties may change however updated job descriptions will be prior to the interview process.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Directort by email at email@example.com. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
|Term||Current - April 30, 2024|
|Hours||12 - 14 Hours per week|
|Remuneration||C5 - $233.10 per week|